Joe Wicks and 'In With the Lucy Bee'
Guest blog by Joe Wicks, aka The Body Coach
Using Coconut Oil
"In with the Luuuuucy Bee" – you’ve probably become accustomed to hearing me shouting this in my kitchen (or out of the window…) But a lot of you have also been asking why, and whether it’s any better than cooking with another oil or fat. It’s easy to get confused about fats and what we need to be eating to get the results we want. Here’s the lowdown on why you to should also be, ‘in with the Lucy Bee' ”
Refined V Unrefined
- First lesson to learn in the world of coconut oil – it’s all about the unrefined stuff! Unless you like mouldy coconuts which may have been bleached and deodorised just to make them fit for human consumption that is! Refined oils actually make up 90% of the market, so it’s easy to pick up the wrong thing!
- Lucy Bee is raw, meaning minimal heat is used during extraction to retain all of the nutrients that make coconut oil good for us
- Unrefined coconut oil is unprocessed and as natural as can be – for a great way to start the day, try stirring it into your porridge or to cook your eggs
- Unrefined is the good stuff and is so versatile to use. You can fry with it, roast with it, bake with it and spread with it. So whack in the Lucy Bee! You can even apply the oil directly to your face or hair as a beauty product, ’tis a beaut!
Fats Fuel the Body
- We need fats because they fuel our body. It’s important to eat the right kind of fats in the correct quantity
- Coconut oil is a medium-chain fatty acid (MCFA) which the body deals with very efficiently, much more than animal fats or processed fats that are harder to break down. There’s a wealth of research showing how easily MCFAs are digested, metabolised and converted to ketones
- Coconut oil contains about 48% lauric acid. Lauric acid is both antiviral and antibacterial, as well as being cholesterol free. Heck, our oil may even keep you looking beautiful – it’s the Superman of the food world!
High Smoking Point
- Coconut oil has a high smoking point. In fact, it’s one of the safest oils to cook with as it’s smoking point is around 176C
- This means it is non-toxic when heated because its 90% saturated fat – a much more stable fat than other cooking oils, no one wants their food turning toxic….
Get Your Bake On
- A handy tip when baking, replace butter with coconut oil, you only need three quarters of the quantity stated in the recipe
- Using coconut oil also means cutting down sugar in recipes by about a third, result!
Guilt Free, In With The Lucy Bee
- Lucy Bee is a family-run business, offering high quality unrefined coconut oil from single estate agroforests (not midget trees!)
They also support and implement Fair Trade across the world, so it’s definitely a business with a heart, and a healthy one at that.
About Lucy Bee Limited
Lucy Bee is concerned with Fair Trade, ethical and sustainable living, recycling and eating close to nature with additive free products for health.
The views and opinions expressed in videos and articles on the Lucy Bee website/s or social networking sites are those of the author/s and do not necessarily reflect those of Lucy Bee Limited.
Be the first to comment.
About Lucy Bee
At Lucy Bee, we’re passionate about a healthy lifestyle and feeling good through the foods we eat. Our website promotes the nourishing ingredients that we love plus tips for natural beauty and fitness.
View all posts by Lucy Bee